Sunday 29 December 2013

On the 5th day of Christmas my generous friend gave to me...........



before I reveal the photographs I have to tell you this fact about my childhood.......

I grew up in a small hamlet where almost every one who lived there, was related to every one else.....a hamlet of coal miners and their familes, Sunday was of course Church day, and Tuesday was Ironing day, but in between there was Monday and Monday was Wash day, and because the fires were well stoked to get hot water it meant the ovens were also very hot....hence the opportunity to BAKE!!!! there were scones and flat cake (similar to Eccles cake), there was cut and come again cake, there were tiny fairy cakes and rock buns, there was apple pies and cherry pies when they were in Season, there were meat pies (leftovers from the Sunday roast) and there were jam tarts!...........and then there was my favourite.....crusty, warm, melt in the mouth, BREAD!!! nothing like it with freshly patted butter that just melted into the warm, soft, doughy white centre of the loaf......and I could get a piece smothered in butter and home made jam from every Aunty`s house from mid morning, on a Monday, until early evening mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I can smell and taste it right now!!!!! When I started school at the age of 4, I always looked forward to the school holidays and especially MONDAYS!!
Enough said but you will realize just why I love this tiny miniature from Gill.....


as ever the anticipation.......


 Gill always wraps twice!!!!



 fresh baked crusty bread, yummy yummy for my tummy.....how I wish I was 6" high with a pat of butter and a jar of Auntie Dot`s homemade lemon curd...


I will have to watch little fingers in the kitchen with that sharp knife............

REALLY couldn`t you just go a slice of that bread??????????

Thank you Gill, I love it.

Don`t forget......go see Gill`s gift for today
Happy Bloggin hugs Virginia xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments...........please let me know your thoughts.
the comments are only moderated to avoid spam, I will post your comment as I get them..
hugs Ginny